Friday, November 8, 2013

Meet Sophie Ann

Introducing our newest addition Sophie Ann. Born October 4th at 10:22 pm
Weighing 8lbs 2oz and Measuring 20.5 inches long

2 week pics...

3 week pics...

The Birth Story... (for anyone that's interested)
     I was due October 8th and had sworn I wouldn't be induced for the third time, but as it got closer and I got more and more miserable, circumstances made me change my mind. My mom was coming on the Thursday the 3rd and was only going to be in town for a few weeks. Also, the following week was a stressful one for Will with school, so I decided the timing would be best if I got induced on Friday the 4th. I went in at about 9am and got settled in my delivery room. They checked me and I was at about a 2. They got me started on pitocin soon after and by about 10 they broke my water. By 2:00 I was dilated to a 5 and was pretty proud of myself for managing not to get my epidural yet.  (my goal was to get to a four) After that my contractions got a lot more intense and while I was handling them I decide to just go ahead and get my epidural since I knew I was going to get it at some point anyway. I was dreading getting my epidural because I haven't had the best experience with them in my previous two labors (they always make me super itchy and way too numb) but I just decided that its the lesser of two evils and I'd rather be uncomfortable but get some pain relief. Turns out this was the best epidural I've had to date! No itchiness and I was only numb where I needed. I never lost feeling in my legs or feet and could move around in the bed pretty well the whole time. It was awesome! At about 10pm she checked me and I was at 10 centimeters. At this point everything had gone so smoothly... surprisingly pushing turned out to be the worst part. I was at a 10 but I couldn't feel any pressure. The nurse had me start pushing, but I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere, she just wasn't coming down the birth canal. She was sort of stuck . It took a lot of work... but finally after pushing hard for about 20 minutes or so she dropped down. It got a little scary there for a moment because I pushed her head out, and the rest of her was still stuck. It turned out she had shoulder dystocia which I didn't realize at the time, but could have turned out pretty serious if she didn't get out quickly. I wasn't aware of it at the time because I was focused so hard on pushing, but I guess the doctor was pulling pretty hard on her head to get her out and my mom said their were about four nurses on top of me just trying to push down on me to get her out. Luckily she came out after a few more hard pushes, bruised up quite a bit, but still just as perfect as can be! It turned out to be my shortest labor at about 12 hours. I am so grateful that I had such a good doctor that kept his cool throughout the delivery and didn't make be feel panicked. So far she has been the sweetest baby! We are all in love with her.

No comments:

Blog Archive